Terry Woodgate - My relationship with Rental Trends works exceptionally well due to the work ethic that I have experienced over the time that I have been involved with them. Regular reports accompanied by photographic evidence following inspections ensures that I am kept well informed and therefore at ease with my selection of an agent who cares about me as an owner and making sure that my property is respected, rent is collected in a timely manner...
“Many landlords forget there are teams of professional builders and tradesmen that work behind the scenes on reality programs to ensure the contestants’ work looks good, but is safe and legal too.
“The reality for landlords is that do-it-yourself renovations and repairs often take longer and cost more. If not completed to industry standard, their negligence could impose serious legal liabilities.
“Landlords should consider whether they have the skills or qualifications to complete the work before getting out their toolbox.”
According to Terri Scheer Insurance, up to 25 per cent of all work completed by Jim’s Group building maintenance is fixing issues created by DIY renovations or repairs.
In order to avoid having a DIY disaster on their hands, Ms Parrella gives her tips for landlords:
With a supply of electrical upgrades and advice available at hardware stores, landlords may be allured into purchasing goods and fittings. However, as Ms Parrella pointed out, only those who are licensed should be installing this hardware.
“The biggest risk with poorly completed electrical work is electrocution and fire. An appliance may work one day and zap you the next, while faulty wiring could spark a fire and quickly spread around the property,” Ms Parrella said.
“Landlords should always do a licence check to verify a tradesperson’s license number and that the licence is also current. More information can be found on the licensing authority website in your state.”
Water and gas
Much like trying to DIY anything electrical, Ms Parrella also said landlords should not attempt to DIY anything involving water or gas plumbing.
“Most Australian states and territories require property owners to source a compliance certificate from tradespeople for any plumbing work carried out. This also applies to other trades and services.
The only work she suggests a non-professional attempt is tap washer or shower head replacement. If a DIY plumbing goes wrong, the results could be disastrous.
“Leaking taps may seem like a minor issue however if gone unnoticed can cause costly water damage, while resulting mould can pose a risk to tenants’ health,” Ms Parrella said.
“Natural gas also has minimal odour and is highly flammable. Any naked flame, such as candles, lighters or stove tops can cause explosions.”
A pool can be a great lifestyle addition to a property that can also raise its price, but without proper fencing, the landlord could be making a “death trap”, Ms Parrella said.
“Landlords can install a pool fence with the best intentions of keeping children safe from drowning, however there are a number of potential oversights, she said.
“According to regulation, gates need to be self-closing and self-latching. Fencing also needs to be 1200mm or higher. Over time, ground levels or garden beds can rise, making any work not to code.
“Qualified tradespeople and licensed businesses can help ensure that high-quality fencing panels are used and that only industry standard installation procedures are followed.
SOURCE ; https://www.smartpropertyinvestment.com.au/renovation/16854-how-to-avoid-a-diy-disaster