Beautiful service from this Property Management Company. Walked into the office a week ago looking for a rental, was absolutely greeted with smiling faces and enthusiastic team members, while everyone did come out to greet me... Got a call back the same day saying I had been approved!! Very efficient work from Rental Trends, fastest I've seen! I am very happy with my choice of agency and property considering i was looking quite urgently, the... Robert Golding
It was 8am when Shannen Crapper heard his wife Kath scream.
She had just gone into the downstairs toilet in their Indooroopilly home when sitting next to the sink was a python.
"We don't know how it got in," Mr Crapper said.
"It looked like it had just eaten a possum. It was quite thick around the stomach."
They alerted a snake catcher, Rod Whitaker, who told Mr Crapper to close the door and keep their two children, Murphy, 3, and Marley, 1, away from it.
"It was pretty docile. When you opened the door it would lift its head, it didn't seem too nervous," Mr Crapper said.
He said the family often had snakes in the backyard.
"Murphy is pretty smart, Marley may be a worry but we keep a close eye on the kids. It's just a shock more than anything else," he said.
"The animals themselves are pretty gorgeous. It's just a fact of life in Australia. I don't think we're going to do anything to snake-proof the house. If they are going to come and go, at least they keep the rats away."
Mr Whitaker, from Snake Advice and Relocation, said the carpet python was an average size for its species, and had likely eaten a possum a few days earlier, which was why it was thicker.
In the midst of the present snake season, Mr Whitaker was called to between 30 and 50 jobs a week, but the company he worked for fielded up about 150 relocations weekly.
"It's kind of breeding season for snakes at the moment. By the end of August they are all a little frisky and they haven't eaten in a month or so as well," he said.
"They're not venomous, but being a wild animal they can still bite you.
"It's not really something you have to worry about dying from."
He said many people mistook them for other venomous snakes and it was worth stepping back and leaving the snakes alone.
"A large majority try to take it into their own hands," he said.
"Call someone who knows what to do."