10 Mar 2022

Flood Appeal gets $2.1m kickstart, council to slash $250 from rates

Queensland’s flood recovery will take “months”, according to the Premier, who announced $2.1 million in state funding to kickstart the Queensland Flood Appeal on Sunday.

The money will be spread across five charities on the ground in the worst-hit areas, with Annastacia Palaszczuk saying the charities have a “proven track record” of helping during disasters.

Ms Palaszczuk said the Red Cross, Salvation Army, St Vincent de Paul, and Lifeline will get $500,000 each, while the remaining $100,000 will go to GIVIT.

Also on Sunday, Brisbane lord mayor Adrian Schrinner announced that $250 would be slashed off the next rates bill of thousands of flood-affected Brisbane ratepayers.

Households and businesses affected by the floods must apply for the Brisbane City Council rebate, with applications to open from March 14.

Cr Schrinner also announced that every residential rates notice across Brisbane for the April quarter will also be postponed by a month, ensuring bills don’t arrive until at least the end of next month.

Further disaster assistance packages were announced at a state and federal level on Saturday.

Prime Minister Scott Morrison and Ms Palaszczuk jointly announced a $558.5 million relief package, with grants of up to $75,000 made available to primary producers, $50,000 for small businesses and not-for-profits, and $20,000 for sporting and community clubs.

Additional grants are available through the Queensland Rural and Industry Development Authority on 1800 623 946 or qrida.qld.gov.au.

The 19 affected councils would also immediately be given $1 million each to assist with clean-up activities.

Treasurer Cameron Dick said work continued on Sunday to determine the exact economic impact the floods had on the state, saying he would provide details on Monday.

“It’s a very significant event, it’s a rain bomb that dropped on Queensland and the south-east about a week ago, and for an event that lasted just three days, it is going to have a big impact on our economy and on our budget,” he said.

The flood death toll stands at 11 after a 42-year-old woman’s body was found at Mudgeeraba on the Gold Coast almost a week after she was seen driving along Gunsynd Road last Sunday. Authorities believe she was swept away in her vehicle, and her body could only be seen once the water receded.

Corporate donations to the Flood Appeal so far include $2 million from mining company BHP across Queensland and NSW, $200,000 from Star Entertainment Group for Queensland, where it has several casinos, and a $200,000 donation to Queensland from insurer Suncorp.

To donate to the Queensland Flood Appeal, visit: givit.org.au, redcross.org.au, salvationarmy.org.au, qld.vinnies.org.au or lifelineqld.org.au.

SOURCE: https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/national/queensland/flood-appeal-gets-2-1m-kickstart-council-to-slash-250-from-rates-20220306-p5a26h.html

Share Socially